Saturday, April 7, 2007

Nassawango on the last day of March




Photos: Festive Tiger Beetle -- one of the first Tiger Beetles on Delmarva. Falcate Oragnetip -- photographed near the Nassawango River. American Kestrel -- photographed sitting on the fence surrounding the Salisbury airport.


Saturday was my first outing since getting back from Costa Rica and I was excited. It was warm, butterflies were flying, and the first neotropical migrants had finally arrived. My main goal of the day was to photograph a Louisana Waterthrush. The Nassawango area of Worcester/Wicomico Counties in Maryland holds a large population of these birds so that was where I decided to concentrate my search. Colleen and I arrived in the swampy woodlands that surround the Nassawango River in northwest Worcester County and were immediately bombarded by the songs of the waterthrush. As we walked down the dirt road which runs through the middle of the swamp we were scolded by a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher which unfortunately would not come close enough for a photo. Yellow-throated Warblers were also throwing their songs around the forest, but like the gnatcatcher would not come down from their lofty perches to pose for my camera. A single Falcate Orangetip allowed a few photos while feeding alongside the road. Orangetips are one off the earliest flying butterflies on Delmarva. They are really beautiful creatures. Unfortunately their flight season is very short and only lasts until May. The waterthrushes were not very cooperative but I was able to get a decent shot of one bird. Even though I did not get that many shots it was nice to be out in the early Spring watching nature being reborn.

No comments: