Sunday, December 31, 2006

Photo Big Year Fundraiser Mission Statement

Tomorrow is going to be the start of a great adventure. I am embarking on a Delmarva Photo Big Year to try to raise money for the Junin Grebe Project. The American Bird Conservancy is a conservation group who are trying to save the endangered and threatened bird species of our hemisphere. ABC has put together a long term project to save the Junin Grebe from extinction. There are less than 300 grebes currently on Lake Junin, a high altitude lake in the Andes of Peru. Due to decreasing water levels from various man made sources and pollution problems on the lake the Junin Grebe has been in a steady population decline since the 1980's. ABC is now in phase two of the project which is to determine the health of the population so survival stratagies can be evaluated.
I want to do my part to help save this animal from extinction. I made a list of all the birds, mammals, reptiles & amphibians, butterflies, dragonflies, and damselflies that have been recorded on the Delmarva Peninsula. The list came to a total of almost 700 species. I am going to try to photograph as many species on the list as possible. What I would like from you is to pledge an amount per photo. Realistically, I believe I can get between 400 and 500 species photographed in a year. If you pledged .05 cents a photo at 400 photos that would only be $20. Not that much money right? But if I can get many .05 cent pledges it will add up. Of course I will take any pledge amount. If you would like to support by just giving a certain amount and not per photo that will be fine as well.
On my photo website www.jimbrighton.smugmug.com I will have a gallery titled Delmarva Photo Big Year where you can keep track of the photos as the year progresses and I plan on keeping a journal here at this site about the adventure. With your help we can save the Junin Grebe from extinction.

No comments: