Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Black Walnut Point 1/28/07


Photo: Black Walnut Point

Sunday was completely different from Saturday. Rain and wind greeted me as I walked out to the car. I only had a few hours to bird because Colleen and I were going to Washington DC to have dinner with friends. With only a little time I decided to head to Black Walnut Point to see if there were any ducks that I could photograph. Black Walnut Point is the southern tip of Tilghman Island which is the western most point of Talbot County, Maryland. On the western side of Tilghman Island is the Chesapeake Bay and to the south is the mouth of the Choptank River. It is a great location to view waterbirds and I was especially hoping to get pictures of Long-tailed Ducks. With the bad weather I was not very optomistic but when I pulled up to the parking lot alongside the bay I was surprised to see many ducks swimming close to the bulkhead. There were Surf Scoters, Buffleheads, Long-tailed Ducks, Lesser Scaup, and Common Goldeneyes in view. I was able to get photos of both a female Bufflehead and a Long-tailed Duck.

No comments: